Obelisco do Alto da Memória

Built with stone from the old Moinhos Castle, this obelisk was erected in 1856 to pay homage to the visit of King D. Pedro IV to the island during the Portuguese Civil War. The first stone used for its construction was one of the stones that the emperor had stepped on when he disembarked in 1832. It affords an excellent panoramic view over Angra do Heroísmo.