Este sitio web utiliza cookies para asegurar que obtenga la mejor experiencia en nuestro sitio web. Poderá desactivar esta función en la configuración de su navegador. Para más información, consulte la Política de Privacidad.

Church of Santo António

The Church of Santo António originated from the extension of a primitive temple in 1543, to which two bell towers were added.

The festivity in honour of the patron saint, Santo António, is always carried out in the date closest to 13 June. It is essentially a religious festivity, with a mass and procession, even though sometimes the traditional rope bullfights are carried out (the bullfight happens on the road, on a space delimited by white lines). A group of men called the “rope men” or the “shepherds” control the bull which is “tied” with a rope by the neck, while the bravest one challenge the bull with an umbrella and “play” with it, showing their physical skills.)


Santo António Norte Grande Velas
São Jorge