Serra do Cume Lookout
From here, you can enjoy a view over the bay of Praia da Vitória and the flat interior of the island divided by walls of volcanic stone known as “patchwork”.
Museo di Angra do Heroismo
Situato in un antico convento francescano del XVII secolo, in esso si può trovare po’ di tutto: dalle carrozze alle ceramiche, ma anche armi, medaglie, monete, strumenti di navigazione, sculture, pitture, mobili, porcellane, ecc. . Oltre al museo, il convento ospita la Chiesa di São Francisco, conosciuta anche come «Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Guia», che è un bellissimo esempio di architettura religiosa del XVIII secolo, e che esibisce magnifici lavori d’intaglio sui soffitti, sui «retablos« e sull’altare. La chiesa è inoltre abbellita da sculture lignee, statuaria e pannelli di «azulejos» veramente unici.
Algar do Carvão
A 90 metre-deep volcanic chimney formed approximately 3,200 years ago after the magma drained from the main chimney receding to the magma chamber.
Forte de São Sebastião
Best known as Castelinho, this fort was built in 1580 and represented a new concept for coastal protection. It played an important role in the defence of Porto Pipas, where it was a very important harbour for international maritime trade.
Information Center of Natal Cave
Natal Cave is 700 m long and this information center is located at its entrance.
Silveira Bathing Site
Bathing site near the city center also known as Silveira's natural pools.
Questa spiaggia si chiama così – Praia Grande – perché è la più grande spiaggia sabbiosa dell’isola di Terceira. Si trova presso l’insenatura di Praia da Vitória ed è considerata anche molto adatta alla pratica del windsurf.
Prainha da Praia da Vitória
Si trova vicina al porto turistico di Praia da Vitória. Durante il periodo balneare sono in funzione bar e spogliatoi. È una zona molto consigliata a chi ama praticare sport nautici.
Zona Balneare di Biscoitos
Considerata una delle migliori zone balneari dell’isola di Terceira, è formata da rocce vulcaniche ed offre un ambiente molto gradevole.
Zona Balneare di Porto Martins
Piscine naturali molto apprezzate durante la stagione estiva. Dispone di varie infrastrutture ed è sorvegliata.
Jardim Duque da Terceira
Considerato uno dei più importanti delle Azzorre, questo giardino contiene un’enorme varietà di flora, con specie provenienti da ogni parte del mondo.
Negrito Bathing Site
This bathing site is located in the parish of São Mateus, near the old fortress of Negrito. It is formed by a flat-bottomed bay.
Former Esperança Convent
Founded in the second half of the 16th century, it used to be the convent of the Sisters of St. Clare. Currently, only a few traces of the convent are visible, since the structure has been housing other entities over the years.
Former Convent and Church of Saint Francis
Baroque convent currently functioning as the Museum of Angra do Heroísmo. The church of Saint Francis is located by the museum and it is open to visitors, who can also admire the statue of João Corte Real.
Former Convent and Church of São Gonçalo
First convent of the Sisters of St. Clare built in the city. It stands out for its Baroque architecture and gilded woodcarvings. It is open to visitors, who will be able to understand how the Poor Clares used to live.
Former Episcopal Palace
This palace dates back to 1544. King D. João II transferred it to the Bishops of Angra do Heroísmo. However, today it is no longer owned by the Diocese of Angra, as it houses the Regional Secretariat for Education and Culture.
Saint John the Baptist Castle
This castle, also known as Castle of Saint John the Baptist, is considered the largest fortress ever built by the Spaniards in the territories they once conquered. Currently the castle is a military facility.
Historic Center of Angra do Heroísmo
World Heritage Site since 1983, the city of Angra do Heroísmo achieved this title because of its urban plan and outline, which testifies for Portuguese history in general and Portuguese navigation history in particular.
Convent and Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição
This church is located where the old Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição used to be (1460-1474). Its architecture is sober and harmonious. This church is also part of the Protected Area of Angra do Heroísmo and classed as a Building of Public Interest.
Ponta das Contendas Lighthouse
This lighthouse, opened in 1934, is located in the southeastern coast of the island. Its tower is 13 meters high.
Ponta da Serreta Lighthouse
Lighthouse opened in 1908 and several times rebuilt, namely after the earthquake of 1980. A new, modern lighthouse was opened in 2004.
Igreja da Misericórdia
This church, located in Angra do Heroísmo, dates back to the 18th century and is currently classed as Building of Public Interest.
This cathedral is considered to be the biggest temple of the archipelago, its construction began in 1570 over the ruins of the gothic church of the Holy Saviour (fifteenth century) and ended 42 years later. Inside the highlight is the silver frontal of the altar of the Blessed Sacrament made by local artisans during the eighteenth century.
Obelisco do Alto da Memória
Built with stone from the old Moinhos Castle, this obelisk was erected in 1856 to pay homage to the visit of King D. Pedro IV to the island during the Portuguese Civil War. The first stone used for its construction was one of the stones that the emperor had stepped on when he disembarked in 1832. It affords an excellent panoramic view over Angra do Heroísmo.
Palácio Bettencourt is a manor house formerly owned by Francisco António Araújo Azevedo, Captain General of the Azores. It is currently the Public Library of Angra do Heroísmo.
The Town Hall of Angra do Heroísmo is one of the rare cases in Portugal of a building created from scratch to house the city coucil. Inside this building there are rare, valuable pieces.
Manor House and Chapel of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios
This manor house, also known as Solar do Provedor das Armadas, was built by Pero Anes do Canto with the purpose of serving both as his own home and a as facility to assist the King's Navy. Today the building belongs to the Regional Government of the Azores.
This theater house, located in the center of Angra do Heroísmo, dates back to the 19th century. In addition to hosting local theater ensembles, it hosts important shows at national level.
Reserva Florestal de Recreio do Viveiro da Falca
Reserva Florestal de Recreio do Monte Brasil
Bosco di Serreta
An extinct volcano of three square kilometres, it is surrounded by the four km long walls of the São João Baptista Fort, nowadays the oldest fortress that has been continuously occupied by the Portuguese army.
Azores Environment Monitoring Center - Angra Science Center
This monitoring center aims at promoting science and technology. It includes an interactive area, as well as rooms for both leisure and learning activities.
Reserva Florestal de Recreio da Lagoa das Patas
Solar da Madre de Deus
Terceira è la seconda isola più popolosa delle Azzorre, con 56.437 residenti (dati del 2011). Situata a 38°43’47’’ di latitudine nord e 27°19’11’’ di longitudine ovest, ha una superficie di 401,9 km2 (30,1 km di lunghezza per 17,6 km di larghezza massima). Fra le cinque isole che formano il Gruppo Centrale dell’arcipelago, Terceira è quella più orientale; dista 37,9 km da São Jorge. Il suo punto più alto è la Serra de Santa Bárbara (1021 m).