A nature reserve since 1974, this crater lake reaches a maximum depth of 30 metres.
The Lighthouse of Rosais is located over spectacular cliffs, over 200 meters above sea level. It was inaugurated on 1 May 1958, at the time the best and technologically most advanced lighthouse of the Portuguese network.
In 1964, right after its inauguration, it was temporarily abandoned by its residents during the seismic crisis of Rosais and the submarine eruption which occurred nearby. After the crisis, it remained inhabited until 1 January 1980, when it was definitively evacuated in the aftermath of cliffs’ landslides caused by the earthquake of 1980. Integrating the land area of the natural monument of Ponta dos Rosais, here you can observe several breeding seabirds (roseate terns, common terns and Cory's shearwater birds). This area also harbors some flora specimens, from which we highlight Tree Heath (Erica Azorica) and the forget-me-not (Myosotis).
Ponta dos Rosais is geosite of the Azores Geopark, with regional relevance and interest and scientific and geo-touristic use.
Just like in other islands of the Azores’ Central Group, the “mistério” designation is applied to a lava field, with rocky and infertile land, formed by a volcanic eruption witnessed by the population, that is, a historical eruption. In this case, it refers to the aa-type lava flows of Mistério da Urzelina, originated due to the eruption of 1808. These lavas were issued by Bocas de Fogo (or Caldeirinhas), a set of craters located in the island’s central volcanic mountain range and moved south through the slopes, reaching the sea in this area of Urzelina. The eruption of 1808 began in May and was preceded by several earthquakes felt by the population. The explosive activity was responsible for the abundant downfall of ashes over Urzelina and Manadas and the basaltic lava flows destroyed several houses and the church, of which only remains a bell tower, standing tall as the silent witness of that eruption. This geosite of the Azores Geopark has national relevance and scientific, pedagogical, cultural and geo-touristic interest.
A 2,351-metre high basaltic stratovolcano, it is the highest point in Portugal and has been classified as a nature reserve since 1982.