Ermida de São João Batista The construction of the Chapel of São João dates back to the 19th century; however, a reconstruction is reported for the year of 1898. It was built in stone masonry plastered and painted white, while its relevant architectonic and decorative elements are displayed in stonework. The image of São João, a very fine sculpture, was acquired in the city of Porto, offered by the Viscountess of São Mateus. In the night of the São João festivity, and upon initiative of the parish council of Velas, a local festival is carried out, preceded by a mass and procession in honour of São João, where sardines, cornbread and other delicacies are offered. There is also the launch of balloons.