Fort of St. Barbara

Located next to the Church of Santa Barbara, this redoubt is the evolution of an old watch house, existing in 1689, that defended its growing population core up from its foundation, being constituted by a bastion of a trapezoidal plant with three marked curtains.

The Fort of Santa Barbara was the protagonist in the defence of the French fleet, commanded by René Duguay-Trouin, who attacked the town of Velas in 170. Its abandonment and destruction, however, occurred due to natural disasters, such as the earthquake of 1757 and volcanic eruption at Urzelina in 1808.

From its ruins it is possible to identify a section of the guardhouse (or magazine as it is referred by some authors) and some gun ports.

Address
Manadas
Velas