The second most inhabited island of the Azores, with 56,437 inhabitants (2011 data), the Terceira island has 401.9 sq. Km, with 30.1 km long and 17.6 km at its maximum width. It is the eastern island of the five that form the central group and is the nearest one of São Jorge island, 37.9 km away. The highest point of the island, at 1,021 m altitude, is located in the Serra de Santa Bárbara, at 38°43’47’’ latitude north and 27°19’11’’ longitude west.
An extinct volcano of three square kilometres, it is surrounded by the four km long walls of the São João Baptista Fort, nowadays the oldest fortress that has been continuously occupied by the Portuguese army.
A 90 metre-deep volcanic chimney formed approximately 3,200 years ago after the magma drained from the main chimney receding to the magma chamber.
From here, you can enjoy a view over the bay of Praia da Vitória and the flat interior of the island divided by walls of volcanic stone known as “patchwork”.
Built with stone from the old Moinhos Castle, this obelisk was erected in 1856 to pay homage to the visit of King D. Pedro IV to the island during the Portuguese Civil War. The first stone used for its construction was one of the stones that the emperor had stepped on when he ...
Natal Cave is 700 m long and this information center is located at its entrance.
This cathedral is considered to be the biggest temple of the archipelago, its construction began in 1570 over the ruins of the gothic church of the Holy Saviour (fifteenth century) and ended 42 years later. Inside the highlight is the silver frontal of the altar of the Blessed ...
The Museum of Sacred Art displays several religious pieces.
World Heritage Site since 1983, the city of Angra do Heroísmo achieved this title because of its urban plan and outline, which testifies for Portuguese history in general and Portuguese navigation history in particular.
Best known as Castelinho, this fort was built in 1580 and represented a new concept for coastal protection. It played an important role in the defence of Porto Pipas, where it was a very important harbour for international maritime trade.
Baroque convent currently functioning as the Museum of Angra do Heroísmo. The church of Saint Francis is located by the museum and it is open to visitors, who can also admire the statue of João Corte Real.
This museum shows the history of wine in the region and on the island, and the importance of caste for centuries Verdelho, housing is also a room dedicated to the ethnography of the region, with many tools and objects used during the times. Also home to the Verdelho Wine Cellar, the ...