São Miguel is the biggest island of the archipelago, with 62.1 km in length and 15.8 km at its maximum width. More than half of the Azorean population (137.856 inhabitants in 2011) occupies an area of 744.7 sq. km. Together with Santa Maria, located 81 km away, São Miguel is part of the Eastern Group of the Azores Archipelago. With an altitude of 1,105 m, Pico da Vara is the island’s highest point located at 37°48’34’’ latitude north and 25°12’40’’ longitude west.
Situated on the west shore of the Furnas Lake reflecting itself in the water, it is an impressive neo-Gothic building that is unique in the whole archipelago. The temple was built in the late nineteenth century by José do Canto (1820-1898), a renowned Azorean with a special ...
Designed mainly according to the Late Gothic style, the main facade of Manueline style stands out for the royal coat of arms and the shield with the arrows of the martyrdom of St. Sebastian. It was later changed in the eighteenth century. On the south facade, there are two busts ...
The foundation of this Convent dates from the sixteenth century and was later changed in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The chapel is richly ornamented with gold carvings and tiles from the eighteenth century, produced by the factory Real Fábrica do Rato.
The Ribeira dos Caldeirões Park corresponds to a landscape valuation project that aimed at using for tourist purposes a set of water mills and the whole structure of paths that existed here, seeking to create an in loco museum.
A nature reserve since 1974, this crater lake reaches a maximum depth of 30 metres.
A waterfall of warm, iron water where you can take a dip, it is located on the north slope of the Fogo Volcano.
Considered to be a Mother Church, it was built in the fifteenth century and has undergone several renovations, the last of which dates from the eighteenth century. It has an interesting facade and carved altars. It keeps statues from the old Franciscan convent.
Built over an old chapel, the present-day church, dating from the eighteenth century, features three naves with remarkable sculptural pieces from the eighteenth century by Castro Machado. It also has a pipe organ.
A nature reserve located approximately one km away from the coast, it features a salt water inlet inside. A popular spot for visitors during the summer.
A small fishing village with traditional fishing boats and a sheltered beach.
Located in the municipality of Nordeste, these are prime locations to see the sun rising.
Commissioned in the sixteenth century to defend the city against attacks of corsairs and pirates, the Fort of St. Blaise was the most important fortification of the city’s defence system, strategically located to the west of the narrow strip of land after which Ponta Delgada was ...