Pico is the second largest island of the Azores, with 444.9 sq. km and with an elongated shape thanks to its 42 km of length and 15.2 km at its maximum width. It is dominated by the Volcano of Pico on its western half, it is 6 km away from the neighboring island of Faial and is populated by 14.148 inhabitants (census 2011). It is the most southerly island of the Central Group of the Azores Archipelago and part of the “triangle islands.” The highest point of the island, at 2350 m altitude, is also the highest point of Portugal, located at 28°23’58’’ longitude west and 38°28’07’’ latitude north.
This lighthouse located in Manhenha was built in 1946. It is not a typical lighthouse, and its U shape allows it to have a tower in the middle.
Located at the old warehouses of the whaling boats, the museum opened in 1988 and portrays whaling which prospered on the island from the nineteenth century up until the 1980s.
Places formed by volcanic activity, the local population named them “mistérios” (mysteries), as they saw “rivers of fire” coming out of the earth for no apparent reason, destroying their belongings.
The Landscape of the Pico Island Vineyard Culture is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2004. In the classified area, you can see various walls that run parallel and perpendicular to the coastline. Vineyards are planted in black lava grounds.
Due to the influence of whaling in the Azores, this museum is located in the old oil, flour and vitamins factory of the Armações Baleeiras Reunidas Lda., demonstrating the importance of this activity.
At five km, it is one of the longest lava tubes in the world and has been classified as a regional natural monument.
This interpretation centre includes the Lajido de Santa Luzia Museum Centre, and it has exhibits on display about the vineyard culture.
This museum is located in the parish of Santo Amaro and showcases several miniature boats.
House built in 2006, it alludes to the typical families of this island in order to preserve the memories and living experiences of the families of São João.
Located in the northwestern coast of the island, this lighthouse started functioning in 1958. It is currently abandoned and quite degraded due to the 1980 earthquake.
Located at the Carmelite Conventual House, the museum includes a cellar and a distillery. The area also has many age-old dragon trees.
A 2,351-metre high basaltic stratovolcano, it is the highest point in Portugal and has been classified as a nature reserve since 1982.