Besides the Holy Ghost Festivals that are celebrated on all the islands, the people of Pico dedicate special attention to their devotion for the Senhor Bom Jesus Milagroso. The festivities take place at São Mateus just before or after August 6th, and are based on the veneration of the pilgrims for a figure from Brazil that is exhibited in the Bom Jesus Milagroso Sanctuary. In the town of Madalena, the festival dedicated to the patron saint of the municipality, Saint Maria Madalena, includes religious, sporting and cultural activities during the month of July.
In São Roque, the event called Cais de Agosto combines musical shows with displays of handicrafts and sporting events. In Lajes, the Semana dos Baleeiros (Whaling Week) brings together the homage paid to those who participated in this important event of the history of the Azores and an eclectic programme that takes place at the end of the summer. In September, Madalena offers the Festas da Vindima (Grape-picking Festival), with dances and ethnographic events centred on wine production.
The whaling canoe races are a symbol of Pico. The regattas, on wood boats made for six rowers, are often present in the various festivities that take place on the island and are created competitions between crews from all over the island and the other islands of the triangle
At five km, it is one of the longest lava tubes in the world and has been classified as a regional natural monument.
The Landscape of the Pico Island Vineyard Culture is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2004. In the classified area, you can see various walls that run parallel and perpendicular to the coastline. Vineyards are planted in black lava grounds.
Due to the influence of whaling in the Azores, this museum is located in the old oil, flour and vitamins factory of the Armações Baleeiras Reunidas Lda., demonstrating the importance of this activity.
This museum is located in the parish of Santo Amaro and showcases several miniature boats.
This lighthouse located in Manhenha was built in 1946. It is not a typical lighthouse, and its U shape allows it to have a tower in the middle.
House built in 2006, it alludes to the typical families of this island in order to preserve the memories and living experiences of the families of São João.
Places formed by volcanic activity, the local population named them “mistérios” (mysteries), as they saw “rivers of fire” coming out of the earth for no apparent reason, destroying their belongings.
Located at the old warehouses of the whaling boats, the museum opened in 1988 and portrays whaling which prospered on the island from the nineteenth century up until the 1980s.
A 2,351-metre high basaltic stratovolcano, it is the highest point in Portugal and has been classified as a nature reserve since 1982.
This interpretation centre includes the Lajido de Santa Luzia Museum Centre, and it has exhibits on display about the vineyard culture.
Located in the northwestern coast of the island, this lighthouse started functioning in 1958. It is currently abandoned and quite degraded due to the 1980 earthquake.
Church whose construction was allegedly ordered by King John V, it is entirely decorated with gold carvings and is an example of baroque architecture.