The 21 km in length and 14 km at the maximum width provide the 173.1 sq. km of the island of Faial with a pentagonal shape. Faial is the third most populous island of the Archipelago with 14,994 inhabitants (2011 data). The island is part of the Central Group and is the westernmost corner of the so-called “Triangle Islands”, which also include São Jorge and Pico, the latter just 6 km away from Faial. The island’s highest point is the Cabeço Gordo (1,043 m of altitude) in the Caldeira area located at 38º34’34’’ latitude north and 28º42’47’’ longitude west.
A museum that preserves all the machinery used in whaling, an active industry until the end of the twentieth century.
The Fort of Santa Cruz of Horta is also known as the Castle of Santa Cruz. This fort was erected near the landing quay of the city and became the main fortification of the island.
Located in the middle of the island, it is a two km wide and 400 metre deep volcanic cone. It is classified as a nature reserve and showcases rare endemic flora species.
The main recreational harbour of the Azores, this marina is one of the most busy and famous in the world. It is a linking point for international regattas, and superstition tells sailors to paint a mural on the breakwater in order to attain divine protection during the rest of their ...
Guarded by a 30-metre high cross and by a statue Nossa Sr.ª da Conceição, from there you can see the other islands of the Central Group (Pico, São Jorge and Graciosa).
World famous amongst sailors, it opened in 1918 and is a cosmopolitan meeting point for people from all walks of life, including whalers, telephone technicians, seamen and even secret agents.
Due to the volcanic eruption, this lighthouse ceased to function in 1957. It was built using plastered stone masonry.
Classified as a special protection area, this is a volcanic cone that affords a great view over the bay of Porto Pim and the city of Horta.
This church is located in the city of Horta and was built for the Jesuits. The buildings that surround it became the Town Hall of Horta and the Horta Museum.