Commissioned in the sixteenth century to defend the city against attacks of corsairs and pirates, the Fort of St. Blaise was the most important fortification of the city’s defence system, strategically located to the west of the narrow strip of land after which Ponta Delgada was ...
This church from 1700 stands out for its stonework.
This church was built in the seventeenth century over a fifteenth-century chapel. Inside you will find an interesting eighteenth-century nativity scene presumably sculptured by Machado de Castro.
This church is located where the old Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição used to be (1460-1474). Its architecture is sober and harmonious. This church is also part of the Protected Area of Angra do Heroísmo and classed as a Building of Public Interest.
Church of the old Misericordia (charitable institution), it has one of the most impressive and original baroque facades of the Azores. The church showcases the image of the Lord of the Cross, which during Lent is taken in procession through the streets of the city, stopping at small ...
Baroque convent currently functioning as the Museum of Angra do Heroísmo. The church of Saint Francis is located by the museum and it is open to visitors, who can also admire the statue of João Corte Real.
First convent of the Sisters of St. Clare built in the city. It stands out for its Baroque architecture and gilded woodcarvings. It is open to visitors, who will be able to understand how the Poor Clares used to live.
This palace dates back to 1544. King D. João II transferred it to the Bishops of Angra do Heroísmo. However, today it is no longer owned by the Diocese of Angra, as it houses the Regional Secretariat for Education and Culture.
Founded in the second half of the 16th century, it used to be the convent of the Sisters of St. Clare. Currently, only a few traces of the convent are visible, since the structure has been housing other entities over the years.